Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Snorkeling in Kauai

Photo credit: Brocken Inaglory, Wikimedia Commons,  Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

One of the things I was most looking forward to in Kauai was the snorkeling.  I had even purchased my own snorkel gear and somehow managed to stuff it into my only piece of luggage, a small carry-on bag.  We were staying on Poipu Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in Kauai, and despite being quite pregnant I couldn't wait to get out in the water.

Unfortunately, on the day we arrived there had been an evacuation due to a tsunami warning caused by an earthquake in Chile so I wasn't getting in the water that day, lovely as it looked.



Day two onward, we had uncharacteristic wind and rain, but I wasn't to be deterred.  I strapped on my gear:



And headed out into this:


I was happily snorkeling away despite the decreased visibility and had ventured quite far from the shore.  Suddenly I was grabbed under the arms and pulled above the surface by a man I had never met.  As I struggled to get free, I exclaimed, "What are you doing!?"  He replied, "Your friends asked me to come save you since you don't know how to swim very well."  Huh?

I may be bad at a lot of things, but swimming isn't one of them.  After a very strange conversation, we discovered that I was not, in fact, the person he was looking for. He swam off and I had a good laugh as I headed back in to shore, exhausted from battling the waves.  A happy side note:  The person the man had been looking for had made it safely back to shore on her own.

I didn't get the awesome Hawaiian snorkeling experience I had been imagining, but I did get a funny story out of it.

Now it's time for you to make me jealous.  Please share your best snorkeling experience so I can live vicariously through you!

This post is linked to Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Traveler's Sandbox.  Please visit to see more delicious travel photos and stories!