Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Hotel Room "Fix-It" Kit

First, let me just say that I LOVE staying in hotels.  Big hotels, small hotels, luxury hotels, budget hotels--I've had great stays in all of them.  There's something so carefree and luxurious about a hotel visit...no cleaning, no cooking, and often a nice pool or hot tub to relax in!

That said, you may have noticed in a previous post that I am pretty particular about certain things in hotel rooms.  So, at the risk of sounding completely uptight, I thought I'd share the contents of the hotel room "fix-it" kit that I carry with me while traveling. :-)

Minor fixes were done in my beautiful bathroom in Singapore (and yes, that's a bidet, and a phone!)

I pack most of these items in a quart-sized ziptop bag, replenish needed items when I get home, and always keep it stored in my suitcase so it's not forgotten on the next trip.  In no particular order:

1.  Disinfecting wipes--I read somewhere that TV remotes are the germiest items in a hotel room, so after my arrival I wipe those down, along with door handles, countertops, and the toilet seat.

2.  Earplugs--You just never know how thin the walls are going to be!

3.  A few pieces of black electrical tape, stuck on a piece of wax paper-- Is there some reason that the folks who make hotel smoke detectors thought it was a good idea to put those ultra-bright green lights on them?  And must they be mounted directly above my bed, spotlighting me with an eerie green glow while I sleep?  My fix--cover the light with a small bit of black electrical tape.  Don't forget to remove before you leave!

Yes, even this room in one of my favorite hotels in Kauai needed a few fixes


4.  Flip flops to wear only in the room, unless there are slippers provided. 

5.  Small alligator clips to hold gaping drapes together.  In a pinch, I've also used the clamps on a pants hanger.

6.  A scarf or shawl to cover any mirror I can see from my bed.  I've heard it's bad feng shui. And there's something discombobulating about seeing my own reflection right after I wake up. :-)

7.  And now that I'm a mom, a babyproofing kit with outlet plugs and zip ties for securing loose cords and closing off unneeded cupboards.  

But a view like this definitely makes it easier to relax


So now I must know, do you have items that you take along to fix your hotel rooms?  Please share!  

For many awesome travel photos and stories, please check out Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Traveler's Sandbox and Friday Daydreamin' at R We There Yet Mom.