Wednesday, March 7, 2012

8 Things That Take a Hotel Room to The Next Level

The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Singapore--a truly great hotel
Ok, I'll admit that this list is completely subjective and that I have some very particular (my husband would say peculiar) ideas about what makes a hotel room great.  For the purposes of this list, I'm taking it as a given that the room has a comfy bed/pillows and great staff, and that it's clean and in a decent location.  So here goes!

  • Local flavor. I like to feel that I'm in a certain city rather than just an anonymous hotel room, so local artwork or design influences, as well as info about recommended dining and nearby attractions, are always appreciated.

  • A comforter sandwiched between two clean, white sheets instead of those very suspect bedspreads.  Enough said!

  • Free wifi.  There's no excuse for charging for wifi.  Ever.

  • A small welcome gesture.  A small note or phone call to follow up on the room after check-in is so nice, as is a "Welcome back" or a "Thanks for staying with us again" if applicable.  Bonus points for champagne, flowers, or fruit baskets :-)  


  • An electric teakettle is much more versatile than those tiny coffeemakers.  Perfect for making tea, instant coffee or oatmeal, and even noodle or soup cups in a pinch.

  • A robe and slippers.  Just feels so decadent.

  • An in-room safe so I don't feel like I have to haul around all my camera equipment everywhere I go.

  • An iPod dock--great for charging and for enjoying music in the a.m., a must for me! 

Now that I've shared my odd hotel room preferences with you, I'd love to hear yours!  What are the things that you love to have in a hotel room?

This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Traveler's Sandbox.  Please visit them to see more great travel photos!

20 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the comforter, bed sheets, free wifi (a must), welcome gesture, electric teakettle, robe+slippers & safe.

    I can't stand coffeemakers at hotels. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you on the hotel coffeemaker issue, Kiran! :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes on the comforter! They are so clean and white and CLEAN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a room with a view at the Mandarin Oriental the next time you are in San Francisco: http://ttftr.com/r3E9qU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Mandarin Oriental in San Fran looks lovely! Their quality seems to be great all over the world.

      Delete
  4. A newspaper delivered to our door. Nothing is as luxurious as lying in bed and spending the first early hours of a Sunday morning in London reading the Sunday Times. . .sipping coffee I have made in the room and wrapped in some plush robe they have provided. (I am still one who wants printers ink on my fingers when I am done with the paper).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A newspaper! How could I have forgotten that?! I completely agree with you...paper and ink are so much more satisfying than a computer screen :-)

      Delete
  5. Have to say that I do like nice soaps & shampoos too and I'm totally with you re: no bedspreads! A clock that is easy to program is good. Way too many times I have been woken in the middle of the night because I haven't thought to check the alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh--I always forget to check the clock, too. And who sets it for 2 a.m? is what I always wonder :-) Yummy-smelling soaps and shampoos are great, I agree!

      Delete
  6. I have always felt like I was in a "ritzy" place if they have a robe & slippers- my favorite!!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And slippers are so much classier than my flip flops!

      Delete
  7. We like having mini-refrigerators in the room and one can't go wrong with robes and slippers. Totally agree on the bedspreads! Latest pet peeve are the resort fees that include wi-fi and a paper. Shouldn't those be complimentary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mini-fridge is so handy...cold half n half is much better than powdered creamer for morning coffee or tea :-) I share your pet peeve about the fees...just put it in the room price so I don't feel like I'm being nickel and dimed!

      Delete
  8. At the Jefferson in Richmond VA, they put a little paper mat beside the bed at turndown, so your tootsies wouldn't have to touch the floor. And I like those places that put the weather report or haiku or other amusement on your pillow. And PLEASE FREE water--not bottled water that has a $5 price tag on it. That's TACKY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting...I've never seen the paper mat before but it's a great idea. And YES to free water for sure!

      Delete
  9. I love getting the robe and slippers! The other things I can dont always miss, but having the slippers is so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anwar--I agree...I always wish I could take them home!

      Delete
  10. Agree with the free Wi-Fi, especially when it has a strong connection ;)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Comment Policy: All comments on this blog are the opinion and responsibility of the commenter. By submitting a comment on this blog, you agree that all comment content is your own.